Thursday, June 09, 2005

Your way or the highway

Q: My doctor has had me on HRT for a while now. But after all the reading I've been doing on the dangers associated with it, I really want to pursue treatment with bio-identical hormones further. The problem is, my doctor isn't interested in working with me on making the switch. Do you have any tips for finding a doctor in my area who will be willing to work with me? A:I wish your problem was less common, but, unfortunately, the growing number of people searching for alternatives to pharmaceuticals are often thwarted in their efforts by their healthcare provider. However, there are a couple of resources that may be able to help. First, the American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM) -- (800)532-3688, (949)583-7666, -- can provide a list of doctors near you who are skilled in natural medicine. ACAM is a not-for-profit association of physicians in various fields who believe in using natural alternatives in their practice. Their website listing will also indicate if the doctor has a specialty -- and some do specialize in bio-identical hormone replacement. Another resource is the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP). Check the AANP website at for a listing of qualified naturopathic doctors (N.D.s) in your area. N.D.s take a holistic approach to health, looking at the entire person, not just a subset of symptoms. Of course, in choosing any doctor, make sure you find someone who will listen to you and who will spend the time it takes to resolve your health concerns and challenges in a safe and effective way.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed